Pittsburgh and Aunt Gail

Aunt Gail

This June I traveled to Pittsburgh with my eldest daughter Heather. Pittsburgh is where I was born and I hoped to learn more about my Hungarian ancestors. We surprised my mother's sister, Gail, with a visit one afternoon. I had not seen her since I was a young child and she is now about 88 years old. I tried unsuccessfully to visit her five years ago. This time we drove to her home in a beautiful wooded neighborhood, walked down her long walkway and knocked on her door. When I announced who we were, she was both surprised and gracious as she welcomed us to her home. We enjoyed the time spent with her and believe it was mutual. There were many things about my aunt that reminded us of my mother Lynn both in mannerisms and appearance. She was very sharp both mentally and physically and asked us if we would like to feel her muscles when we noticed the small hand weights on the table. They both enjoyed crossword puzzles.

Violet, Helen, Lynn and Gail


Heather and Lynn - 2007
Because Gail was the youngest Bartha daughter and remained in Pittsburgh, she became the caretaker of her mother (my grandmother) Anna Bartha. Just before we left, Aunt Gail shared an old photo album with us and explained each photo. The album had belonged to my grandmother. I was very excited to see a photograph of our great grandparents, John and Anna Horvath, as well as a photo of our second great grandfather, Frank Ivancics. I never knew such photos existed and excitedly began taking photos of the photos.

John and Anna Horvath
Frank Ivancics (father of Anna)
As I began to take photographs, Aunt Gail said that there was no need. I could have the album because I was so interested, that she would not take it to the grave with her. Needless to say, these photos have been carefully inspected, scanned and archived. The writing on the backs of some held relevant family information. I am very grateful to be entrusted with this treasure and will always remember that afternoon in Pittsburgh when we boldly knocked on that front door.
More Photos

2 comments:

  1. So cool! It's like finding a hidden treasure. And then she gave you that photo album. What a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete